Lead Test Engineer - Robotics
Company: Magna International Inc.
Posted on: April 1, 2021
Division: Magna Services of America (Troy Office) Job Type:
Permanent/Regular Location: Holly, MI, US, 48442 Position Overview:
Magna Corporate R&D in Troy, MI is seeking a talented,
visionary and self-motivated Lead Engineer Testing - Robotics to be
a part of the Advanced Manufacturing / Robotics Group, which will
create new automation solutions that improve overall system
efficiencies, using advanced technologies (i4.0 & Adv. Mfg.
building blocks). The ideal candidate will have deep experience
with theoretical approaches and practical implementations of
automotive robotic work cells employing vision perception, tactile
perception, sensor fusion, adv. analytics and autonomy. They will
understand the complete process of concept, design, build and
launch of these robotic work cells and the reporting process to
various stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be working in a
culture that fosters creativity and problem solving. This position
will play a key part in the Advanced Manufacturing / Robotics Group
and be a part of a tightly knit development team that creates,
validates and implements advanced manufacturing solutions for the
future. Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a test team and manage all the duties related to the
advanced robotics labor in the Magna ME Holly division. This
includes communication with internal and external stakeholder,
develop test- and validation-plan including resources and
- Interface with multiple stakeholders to understand system
and/or subsystem requirements, functionality, domain, viable
technology, and development activities for advanced robotic system
- Front-end communications with internal and external design and
system integration team regarding hardware and software
requirements, expectations, solutions, analysis, definition of
design alternatives, and technical guidance of engineering
activities within the team.
- Lead definition, technical feasibility analysis, and hardware
and software specification of test solutions that are applicable to
a variety of advanced robotic technologies including, but not
limited to, object recognition, machine vision, advanced motion
planning, and tactile perception.
- Understand system requirement, work with the team to establish
and validate the operational windows, design experiments, and
define test plans.
- Design, setup and realize the test systems, including, but not
limited to, acquiring appropriate hardware (e.g. fixtures, sensors,
actuators), interfacing electrical or computer systems (e.g. data
acquisition systems), and writing interface software (e.g. software
- Lead Testing & Validation activities by specifying test
requirement & ensuring tests are completed to specification.
Execute test plans, collect test data, perform data analysis, and
report and present the results.
- Develop detailed and atomic test cases starting from high-level
specifications and requirements, with pass/fail criteria for each
test case based on industry practice and conducting research to
define such criteria when not obvious.
- Assist root cause analysis and corrective action for software
components and products, and warranty issues.
- Attend functional training and technical conferences to learn
new tools and methodologies and keep up to date on market and
- Supports the development of short- and long-term R&D
objectives and technology roadmaps.
- Supports and promotes the technical vision for the company and
plans for implementation of new advanced technologies.
- Create technical budgets, allocate resources, and determine
schedule of technology releases or project deadlines. Keep budget
trackers up to date in a timely manner.
- Maintain project schedules by monitoring project progress,
coordinating activities, estimating timing needs and hurdles,
sequencing project elements, and resolving problems. Prepare and
present project progress reports.
- Maintain proper filing systems to ensure all information,
(electronic or hard copy), is stored according to department
- Specify requests and coordinate sub-contracted work (e.g. FEAs,
product validation, prototype parts manufacturing, CAD drawing file
conversion, etc.) and assure timely completion
- Demonstrate sustained innovation and creativity leading to
significant project accomplishments without direct technical
supervision. Supervision provided as required on assignments as
well as on broader general objectives and limits.
- Initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any
non-conformities relating to the product, process and system.
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product,
process, and quality systems.
- Initiate, recommend, or provide solutions through designated
- Recommends major changes to achieve overall objectives
- Advises the management on staffing needs, selection/ assessment
criteria, and hiring process
- Mentor, instruct and lead other engineers.
- Practice and maintain integrity while following Magna's Charter
- Create and strive for a positive work environment by
demonstrating and sharing functional and technical knowledge.
- Treat everyone with dignity, trust and respect.
- Perform any other assignments from time-to-time as management
so directs. Health & Safety & Housekeeping Responsibilities:
- Involved in accident / incident investigation progress
- Conducts safety talks with employees
- Corrects and commends Health & Safety performance
- Responsible for general upkeep and required maintenance of lab
- Responsible for adherence of lab to Magna requirements (ie.
Mafact / 5S) and procedures.
- Comply with the designated ISO / TS 16949 responsibilities,
Health & Safety (H&S) rules and practices, Magna policies,
procedures and practices. Qualifications:
- 5+ years of industry experience in engineering and/or testing
related to industrial automation.
- Creative and self-motivating with the ability to understand and
divide a vision into prioritized tasks.
- Strong experience in validation and test of robotics systems
(or closely related industry).
- Broad exposure to control systems, mechanical, and electrical
design and development practices including common engineering tools
used for such efforts with detailed knowledge and expertise in at
least one of the areas.
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative, efficient, and
- Ability to work on challenging assignments with aggressive
- Experience in automated build and test and/or test-driven
- Experience in hardware and software system integration, such as
integration of new sensors, actuators and/or robotic manipulator
into a new or existing test system.
- Understanding of PLC, networking protocols and
- Experience in DVP&R or PVP&R.
- Experience in signal processing, data collection and
statistically data analysis.
- Experience in GD&T.
- Experience in software programming (C++ and/or Python in ROS
environment is a plus).
- Excellent written (white papers) and oral communication
- Experience in requirements gathering and writing specifications
as they relate to test functionality. Education / Experience:
- Mechanical or Electrical engineering or a related Engineering
or quantitative field. Special Knowledge / Skills:
- Demonstrated technical ability and creativity to initiate,
direct, and control specific projects.
- Strong spoken and written English language skills. Additional
- Experience with Design for Manufacturing and Failure Mode
Effect Analysis (DFMEA/PFMEA)
- Experience with Manufacturing Process, Assembly methods, and
materials used in automotive products
- Understanding of ANSI, SAE, QS-9000 and other industry/customer
- Broad exposure to industrial robotic automation: robotics, PLC,
2D and 3D vision systems and programming.
- Proficient Computer knowledge and skills, Microsoft Office
(Word, Excel, PowerPoint) Physical Demands / Work Environment:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
regularly required to talk and hear and use hands to finger,
handle, and feel. The employee is required to reach with hands and
arms and have adequate mobility to stand, walk, sit, stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move
up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this
job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Responsible for working in compliance with the provisions of
the Health and Safety Act as well as any rules or standards
otherwise specified by OSHA or MIOSHA or any other government
regulations. Expected to exercise caution in all work activities
and report any unsafe conditions, injuries, or near misses to the
- Domestic and international travel will be required up to 20% of
Keywords: Magna International Inc., Pueblo , Lead Test Engineer - Robotics, Engineering , Holly, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!