Director of Business and Financial Services/Controller
Company: Colorado State University-Pueblo
Posted on: December 1, 2018
Business and Financial Services maintains and improves the processes which protect the financial integrity of Colorado State University - Pueblo, provides periodic financial information to various users, supports University financial system users, monitors transaction flow to assure compliance with Federal, State and University laws, regulations and policies, analyzes and interprets financial data as part of the overall control of University fiscal goals, and formulates reports in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
The Director of Business and Financial Services/Controller reports to the Executive Director of Business and Financial Services/Controller for Colorado State University, serves as the chief accounting officer for the University, and is responsible for the leadership and managerial oversight of accounting, financial reporting and maintenance of internal controls for the University.
- Effectively supervise staff, build a strong team, successfully lead change and enhance efficiencies by providing strong leadership. Review strategies for the staffing, organization, and management of the units within Business and Financial Services that report to this position. Review employee work, establish goals and maintain a high level of morale.
- Manage the central accounting operations of the university, including the monthly, quarterly, and year end close processes, reporting of financial information to the Board of Governors, timeliness of preparation of year end working papers and state exhibits, and responses to inquiries from internal and external auditors. Ensure monthly reconciliations are performed on a timely basis and ensure controls are maintained over reconciliations of accounts across campus. Ensure compliance with university quality standards for accounting and financial reporting in all areas of responsibility.
- Serve as University liaison with the State, CSU System Office, CSU Fort Collins campus, and other higher education financial and audit groups, as well as the Office of the State Controller.
- Maintain strong customer relationships with students, student organizations, and other campus, community, and business constituencies. Understand the needs of campus constituents and effectively communicate complex accounting processes.
- Assure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, Colorado State Fiscal Rules, University fiscal rules and procedures, TABOR reporting, and federal and state laws.
- Maintain departmental budget by monitoring and limiting expenses.
- Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Finance and Administration.
- Serve as Finance and Administration representative to University committees, task forces, and program initiatives.
This position is responsible for general accounting, payroll, accounts receivable and collections, cash services, fixed assets, plant funds, restricted gifts and endowment, tax compliance, contracts and grants and development of sound internal controls over financial operations at the University. The director will make recommendations for improving internal control systems, assist the Colorado State University System with financial audits, ensure compliance with state and federal regulations, and provide strong leadership to staff.
All interested candidates must apply through the on-line application system. No other format of application materials will be accepted. Applicants must attach a letter of intent (cover letter); a current resume or CV; an unofficial transcript; and three professional references with contact information to the on-line application. Applications submitted without the required information above will be considered incomplete and will not move forward in the selection process. Once submitted, applicants will not be able to make changes or add information to their application packet, with the exception of their personal contact and demographic information.
Early submission of application materials is encouraged. Screening of application materials will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled, though all applications received by 4 p.m. (MST) on Friday, November 30, 2018 will be given full consideration.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business, management, or closely related field
- Certified Public Accountant
- At least three years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience at a government institution
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and direct experience applying GASB Financial Reporting Standards
- Demonstrated skills in analyzing and interpreting complex financial data
- Demonstrated experience working with large mainframe accounting software
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in higher education management or closely related field
- Experience with the State of Colorado financial systems and fiscal rules
- At least 3 years' working in Higher Education
- Experience managing external grants in a higher education environment
- Proven analytical, qualitative, communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Successful team building and team participation skills
Keywords: Colorado State University-Pueblo, Pueblo , Director of Business and Financial Services/Controller, Accounting, Auditing , Pueblo, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!